Next week I’m going to be attending the annual conference of the Learning and Performance Institute, Learning Live. There will be a whole team of tweeters there that I’ll be one of but not co-ordinating, so I get a bit more time to do some other things to, which mean I’ll be reprising my use of Periscope at a live event for the second time. More on that in a bit.
I’m fortunate enough to attend quite a lot of events, so it’s always encouraging to see new names on the programme and speakers I haven’t heard before. I love it when I gain new insights, maybe something creative and something inspiring. I love coming back to my desk with lots of new ideas buzzing around in my head. I’m covering the ‘Our Future’ stream which will be using the hashtag #OF1 on Wednesday 9 September and #OF2 throughout Thursday 10 September. That’s in addition to the official conference hashtag #LEARNINGLIVE.
There’s going to be lots of great stuff going on across the event so whether you’re following from afar or there in person, here are some of my predicted highlights:
* This year’s keynote is from Jamil Qureshi and focuses on how we maximise our potential and that of those around us. After last year’s Chimp Management keynote from Dr. Steve Peters, I have high expectations and I’m sure Qureshi will deliver
* An audience with Jerry Maguire – a must see session on ‘the things you want to say in L&D but never do’ with Chief Learning Officer of the Year 2014, Dave Buglass. He’s achieved some fantastic things at Tesco Bank and it will be great to hear more about his approach
* The exhibition is always a good way to see what’s new in the market, I’ll try and bring you some of the stand out solutions on offer
* Checking out Learn Appeal and their exciting new learning capsule on their stand at the exhibition
* Tying in with the keynote’s focus on performance, I always enjoy hearing Paul Matthews’ practical advice. He’ll be sharing his insights on a new approach to performance management
* L&D Question Time with Nigel Paine and a panel of experts debating current issues and trends in learning and development
In fact, I could point out pretty much every session on the agenda as so many of them sound exciting! As always with these events, it is about so much more than the sessions themselves. I am looking forward to catching up with old friends, and hopefully making some new ones at the networking dinner. And this year I’ll be using Periscope to bring you some live insights too.
Tune into the live action
Following on from my first foray with Periscope at this year’s Learning Technologies Summer Forum, I’m evolving how I use the app at Learning Live. I’ll be posted between sessions at the LPI stand bringing you interviews with speakers, conference attendees, LPI members and fellows – all to bring you the latest on the action and share hot-off-the-press insights from all the sessions and conversations at the event. There’s no schedule as trying to stick to particular times didn’t work too effectively for me at LTSF. So instead you need to tune into the LPI official Periscope channel. Search YourLPI within Periscope (same handle as their Twitter ID) and follow, then you’ll be alerted live every time we broadcast. Alerts will also be tweeted via #LEARNINGLIVE.
I look forward to seeing you there in person or online and if you have any questions you’d like me to ask people, leave them in the comments below and I will do my best to get them answered by the experts.